Citizenship Corner‎ > ‎Documents‎ > ‎

03. Personal History

This is just a simplified overview of the documents required in general:

3. Personal History

This item is actually called 「履歴書」 in Japanese, which is usually translated into English as "Resume".  We aren't calling it that here, because the requirement doesn't look much like what most people think of as a resume.  Instead, this is a form where you fill in your own personal history.

The form is split into two parts, and additional supporting documents also fall into this category.

Part 1: This form is for your to fill in personal events including moves, family events, and anything related to school or work.  If you have moved a lot or have a complicated family this form may be quite a chore.

The fields are labeled as: Date, Address, School/Work History, Relationship.  The usage is a bit unusual, so the easiest way to understand is to look at the examples provided.  

For example, if you change company, then you should fill in the company's address field in the address, and also enter the company name and job/position in the School/Work History.  

Family events such as births and deaths, marriages and divorces should be recorded in the relationship column.

Moves should be recorded in the address column.

Every relevant event should be filled in chronological order from birth until present, and dates should of course be in Japanese format.

This information must of match the other supporting documents you provide from your government, so make sure all data is correct.  

Part 2: This form is a listing of every time you have left and re-entered the country for the last X years - where X is determined by your case worker.  (Typically 5 years is required).  For each trip, you will need to fill in the leaving date, return date, total number of days you were outside of Japan, where you went, and why/with whom.

This information is used mainly to calculate the number of days you have been outside of Japan in the recent past.  For example, if you have been in Japan on a working visa for the past 5 years, but it turns out that due to excessive vacations and business trips you have only been physically present for 3.5 years, then you will be considered ineligible for naturalization until you hit 5 years.

Of course if they see suspicious visits to North Korea and Iran, they may call to ask you a few more questions.

The information here must match the information from your passport, and similar information provided from the immigration department of the Japanese Government.

From the applicant's point of view, this form should be filled in based on your passport and your own records (travel reservations, etc.) and then you can use it to compare with the Japanese Government's account to see if they missed anything.  It goes without saying that you shouldn't "bend the truth" on this or any other piece of information you submit, because they will find out and reject your application.

Other Supporting Documents: This is where you provide evidence to back up your claims in Part 1.

Thankfully, you don't need to provide proof of every move you have ever made.

You do need to provide a copy of your most recent college diploma (and show them the original for inspection).

You should also submit any other certifications, test results, etc., that you would like them to consider with your application.  If you have a CFA, CPA or some kind of IT certification, this would be the place to include it.  You should also of course include any Japanese test results you have from JLPT, etc.

They won't typically ask for your high-school diploma if you have graduated from college, or for your older college diplomas if you have more than one.  

You will need to translate anything that isn't already into Japanese into Japanese - though you can do this yourself.