Citizenship Corner‎ > ‎Documents‎ > ‎

13. Personal Finances

13. Personal Finance Outline

Personal Finance Outline Forms
Part 1: This is a form for you to fill out, which is basically a personal income statement.

  In this section, you list your after tax salary, pension, and any other forms of income.
  Obviously, the figures should match the documents provided in other sections.

  In this section, enter your monthly expenses and savings, including rent, food, stock purchases, etc.  
  The totals from the Income and Expenses section should match to the yen.
Major Debt
    You should list any major credit card debt, student loans, etc., along with when you anticipate they should be paid off.

Part 2: This is another form for you to fill out (more balance sheet-like this time), with the following sections:

    Fill in the details of any real-estate you own, along with the type, cost, etc.  Be sure to include property outside of Japan as well.

Bank Accounts, etc.
     This is where you list any bank accounts you have, along with the balance.

    Any such items in your possession should be listed here.

Other Expensive Personal Property
    If you have expensive items worth over 1,000,000 JPY (Roughly USD $10,000), you should list it here.  Examples might be expensive cars and/or art-work, etc.  

Other Forms
Other than the main form mentioned above, there are a number of other forms and supporting documents you must provide.

A. Statement of Employment and Remuneration Statement (Pay Slip)
    This is a form they give for someone at your company to fill out.  It says that you work there and mentions your position.  It also contains data about your salary.  Your CEO or someone in HR should fill it out and apply the company seal.  This should be using the latest data so that for example if you submit your application in December, it should be November or (if possible! December data).

B. Property Ownership Documents
    If you do own any property, you should provide the relevant documents proving ownership.

C. Bank Account Pass Book and/or Balance Statement
    If you have a bank account, you should bring in the Pass Book (if relevant) to show the case officer, as well as two copies.
    Alternatively, you can get an official balance statement from the bank.  The balance statement has the advantage (to you) of now showing your transaction history, however there is usually a fee associated with generating this document and it may take several days.  Man online banks do not have passbooks, so you will have to request a balance statement via their customer support. (No, a print-out of the web page, ATM receipt, etc. does not count).

D. Rental Contract
    If you are renting, you should provide 2 copies of your contract with your landlord, and bring the original to show your case worker.  It should be in Japanese, but if it's not for some reason, it will of course have to be translated first.  If you do not have a rental contract with your landlord, you should request one.