Citizenship Corner‎ > ‎Documents‎ > ‎

09. Citizenship Renunciation

Technically speaking, all people applying for Japanese citizenship must renounce their previous citizenship.  

For some countries, like the United States, this isn't actually possible until after you naturalize.  For many other countries, you can renounce your current citizenship first.

If you are from a country where this is possible, your case worker will request that you do this and then submit the resulting loss of nationality certificate as a part of your application.

(For countries where you must wait until afterwards, they will ask you to sign a separate oath to renounce later in the process).